Last spring, we introduced a major new add-on: Territory Optimizer. This month, we’re launching a significant upgrade that will help you build or re-align your territories faster and with even better results.
When done manually, territory management can be a painful process. We’ve heard from sales operations leaders who fly all their regional sales managers to a hotel once a year, then spend an entire week re-working their territories. It’s long, tiresome and expensive. Worse, it doesn’t produce the best results or allow much room for the regular updates that keep your territories functioning their best.
With our Territory Optimizer add-on, you can cut this project from weeks down to minutes. eSpatial can automatically use your parameters to create a new territory alignment recommendation that is balanced and equitable. This month’s update is adding even more intelligence behind the scenes, which means fewer tweaks between recommendation and finalized. Here are just a few of the changes we’ve made to make territory management easier:
- Advanced drive-time territory building: The Territory Optimizer add-on now has an improved understanding of road networks — particularly around bodies of water and bridges — and can produce a manageable territory for your sales reps in just a few clicks.
- Automatic optimization with hierarchies: If you’re using hierarchies to manage your territories, the optimizer add-on can now help you too. With purchase of territory optimizer, you can now automatically re-align your hierarchies from the bottom up. The Optimizer will realign the lowest level and then update levels up the hierarchy accordingly. You can also filter down to focus only on specific areas. So, whether you need to adjust the number of sales reps in a region or realign your entire sales organization, you can do it in seconds.
- Flexible weighted balancing: You can now create a balance attribute that is calculated on multiple values such as leads, opportunities and costs. You can use this to create a combined value, an index or a metric that’s important to your business. For example, you may value your leads at $50 dollars, opportunities $200 and existing accounts at $500. You can also use this calculated value with the Territory Optimizer to balance on the metrics that are key to your business.
- Balancing on averages: In your territory panel, balances will now show a percentage of the average. For example, if you’ve balanced on historical revenue, a territory that is exactly the average will show as 100%. If the territory is 5% lower than average, it will show as 95%. This makes it much easier to spot outliers, particularly when there are many territories at play. We recommend that all territories come within 10% of the average for proper balancing, or 5% in an ideal scenario.
- Fill gaps: This advanced territory feature is part of the Territory Optimization add-on. It allows you to automatically assign empty regions to nearby territories. Previously, this was available only when running an automatic territory optimization. You can now turn gap filling on and off without re-optimizing your territories. This is a great feature for companies who have only assigned ZIPs that contain existing accounts to a territory. This approach can leave unallocated ZIPs in the middle of or near existing territories. So, when a new lead comes in, it’s hard to know who should follow-up. By assigning these empty ZIPs to the most appropriate territory, you can quickly give new leads to right sales rep.
Updates by popular demand
This update isn’t just about territory optimization. You asked us for some changes, and we listened.
Here are a few of the main updates we’ve made:
- More granular zooming: Maps will now zoom by smaller units, letting you better control the area you want to see.
- Improved map management: You can now create a new map within a workspace or move your map to a different workspace. This will help you better manage and organize your work.
- Pin updates: In Territory Manager, we’ve changed the default style of our pins to make it easier to see the complete picture. They will also no longer automatically cluster. You can still style your own pins and turn on clustering if you prefer, but we’ve made the most popular style settings your new starting point.
- Faster filtering: In Territory Manager, you can now use the lasso to filter, which makes it faster and easier to focus in on just the areas you want to see. This also allows you to quickly select a specific area to re-align with the Territory Optimizer add-on. .
eSpatial is updated multiple times every year, and we use your feedback to continue to make our product even better. If you have thoughts, use the in-app or website chat to let us know.
If you would like to learn more about the Territory Optimizer add-on, please book an appointment to chat about your needs.